Proposal: AppData files in all application packages?

Elad Alfassa elad at fedoraproject.org
Fri Sep 6 10:11:09 UTC 2013

On Fri, Sep 6, 2013 at 12:33 PM, Richard Hughes <hughsient at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all. I'm the developer for PackageKit and gnome-software, the
> latter being the new software center we're hopefully including as a
> technical preview in Fedora 20.

[snip]

> Thanks in advance!
>
> Richard
>
> [1] http://people.freedesktop.org/~hughsient/appdata/
> [2] https://github.com/hughsie/fedora-appstream/tree/master/appdata-extra
> --

To add on Richard's notes, please note that we will appreciate testing,
suggestions, bug reports and general feedback.

Few more things I think you should know:

The metadata is DE-agnostic, which means that KDE (for example) could
implement their own software center using the same metadata as well, so by
adding appdata files you don't only help the GNOME spin of Fedora, but make
it possible for other desktops to use the same data for their own
application installers as well.

gnome-software is still in an early preview phase, so more features will be
added soon. (for example, an "addons" category to list fonts, codecs, and
so forth).

We already have someone working on support for firefox webapps, and I have
few more ideas in mind.
The pluggable architecture of gnome-software easily allows to add more
types of software sources - it's not just a frontend for packagekit!
We can easily add support for extensions from extensions.gnome.org,
or perhaps listing fedorapeople repos under the (not-yet-implemented)
addons category so people would be able to easily add them to their systems
without needing to use the CLI. (I still need to run this idea past the
designers for sanity-check).

I'm also trying to get in touch with Valve to make Steam integrate itself
into gnome-software (if installed).

We have been waiting for a proper app installer for years, and now it
finally happening. Exciting times ahead!

We need all the help we can get to make this as awesome as possible, so
please don't hesitate to contribute.

If you have already installed Fedora 20, go ahead and type "yum install
gnome-software" and give it a go!
--
-Elad Alfassa.
(elad661 on freenode, elad on gimpnet)