What to do with a noarch package that fails to build on ARM

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Fri Sep 6 16:31:55 UTC 2013

On Fri, 6 Sep 2013 09:44:51 -0600
Andrew McNabb <amcnabb at mcnabbs.org> wrote:

> I tried tracking down the problem using an ARM virtual machine using
> these instructions, but it was too slow in helping track down the
> failed tests (in fact, it had many more failed tests).
>
> As a "temporary" measure, I then changed python-pexpect to no longer
> be a noarch package.  It looks like this will have a ripple effect,
> requiring python-ipython (an important package) to lose noarch.
>
> At present, the upstream maintainer and myself have no way to track
> down the problem because no one has ARM hardware running Fedora.  So
> it could be a very long time before this is fixed.
>
> Since ARM is a primary architecture but ARM hardware running Fedora is
> so rare, it would be nice if there were some way to give upstream
> maintainers access to ARM machines to track down bugs.

I just mailed you directly a few minutes ago about this. ;)

We have these:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/ARM/qa-machines
that I can get you access to.

I have some I want to make always available to packagers, but I am
waiting on a firmware upgrade that will allow us to seperate out that
traffic from all the other SOC's in that same chassis.

kevin