Default boot/root filesystem

Chris Adams linux at cmadams.net
Sat Sep 7 02:41:04 UTC 2013

Once upon a time, Sam Varshavchik <mrsam at courier-mta.com> said:
 I could certainly have been out of town, for a while, and missed
> this. But, to the best of my knowledge, Fedora uses ext4 as the
> default boot/root. Just sounds a bit strange to me, that this is
> getting dumped into RHEL without tossing it into Fedora first, to
> rattle around, and shake any bugs out, beforehand. Don't really have
> an opinion either way, myself, I would just expect that something
> like this would go into Fedora first.

RHEL is a derivative downstream of Fedora but distinct from Fedora, not
just "Fedora with support".  RHEL makes decisions that are not the same
as Fedora's (that's one of the reasons the "Fedora is RHEL beta" meme is
st00pid).  Not everything in RHEL is the same as it was in the Fedora
version from which it was branched.

In this case, Red Hat has been pushing XFS as the "high-end" FS for RHEL
for years, although they sold it as an add-on (I can't remember if it is
even supported for the root FS in the installer).  They've been
supporting it as the preferred FS for large filesystems and some other
cases, so I assume they know what they are doing.

Fedora is looking to the future, and rather than switching to something
that is just another traditional FS (with some bells and whistles),
switching to btrfs.  The switch to btrfs as default isn't there yet, but
that is the direction I think Fedora is moving towards (one of these
days).

--
Chris Adams <linux at cmadams.net>