Default boot/root filesystem

Ken Dreyer ktdreyer at ktdreyer.com
Sat Sep 7 03:19:11 UTC 2013

On Fri, Sep 6, 2013 at 8:41 PM, Chris Adams <linux at cmadams.net> wrote:
> Once upon a time, Sam Varshavchik <mrsam at courier-mta.com> said:
>  I could certainly have been out of town, for a while, and missed
>> this. But, to the best of my knowledge, Fedora uses ext4 as the
>> default boot/root. Just sounds a bit strange to me, that this is
>> getting dumped into RHEL without tossing it into Fedora first, to
>> rattle around, and shake any bugs out, beforehand. Don't really have
>> an opinion either way, myself, I would just expect that something
>> like this would go into Fedora first.
>
> RHEL is a derivative downstream of Fedora but distinct from Fedora, not
> just "Fedora with support".  RHEL makes decisions that are not the same
> as Fedora's (that's one of the reasons the "Fedora is RHEL beta" meme is
> st00pid).  Not everything in RHEL is the same as it was in the Fedora
> version from which it was branched.

Sure, RHEL is distinct from Fedora, and they make different decisions,
etc. The original point still stands: it's puzzling that XFS may end
up as the default in RHEL 7 when it has never been the default for
even a single Fedora release.

The "Fedora is RHEL beta" meme may be slightly off-base, but I would
hardly call the meme st00pid. The meme persists so strongly because
there's an element of truth to it. Besides, why else would Red Hat
pour so much money into Fedora :)

- Ken