Default boot/root filesystem

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Sat Sep 7 22:40:33 UTC 2013

On 09/07/2013 10:35 PM, Eric Sandeen wrote:

> On 9/6/13 5:48 PM, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
>> According to this:
>>
>> http://www.serverwatch.com/server-news/where-is-red-hat-enterprise-linux-7.html
>>
>>   RHEL7 will use XFS for the default boot/root.
>>
>> I could certainly have been out of town, for a while, and missed
>> this. But, to the best of my knowledge, Fedora uses ext4 as the
>> default boot/root. Just sounds a bit strange to me, that this is
>> getting dumped into RHEL without tossing it into Fedora first, to
>> rattle around, and shake any bugs out, beforehand. Don't really have
>> an opinion either way, myself, I would just expect that something
>> like this would go into Fedora first.
> If people want to switch the Fedora default to XFS, I'll gladly file
> the feature.  :)

Given that we could not kill lvm as an default and switch to ext4 until
btrfs was in ready enough shape to improve the desktop experience I
doubt that feature would pass the acks of the shadow of the storage and
filesystem monks that appeared from nowhere at that time...

In a 21 century distro the sub community would decide which default
filesystem would be their preference to deliverer the best out of the
box experience for their product but hey rings to rule them all and
hobbits too.

JBG

JBG