Retiring libeio

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Mon Sep 9 13:49:55 UTC 2013

On 08/09/13 08:48, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Sat, 7 Sep 2013 18:03:48 -0700, T.C. Hollingsworth wrote:
>
>> I adopted libeio back when Node.js still bundled it to aid in the unbundling
>> effort, but upstream "fixed" the bundling problem here by no longer using
>> libeio for anything.
>
> That explains a bit more!
>
> libeio is bundled within perl-IO-AIO at Fedora
>
>    http://search.cpan.org/~mlehmann/IO-AIO-4.18/AIO.pm
>
> and is built as a private AIO.so lib.
>
> I've tried to find out why there haven't been any libeio releases to download,
> although it's at version 4.18 already. The home page says it's Beta. The cvs
> snapshot contains doc files that refer to libev (that one is at 4.15), which
> is a separate package (also at Fedora). The source also bundles ecb.h, which
> refers to libecb from the same author. That's "libecb" at Fedora.

I'd be quite happy if someone would take perl-IO-AIO off my hands. My
only interest in it is as an (optional) backend and test dependency of
perl-AnyEvent, which I co-maintain - I picked it up when a previous
maintainer orphaned it.

If someone is keen to look after the bundling issue, I'll be happy to
hand over the package. Otherwise, it looks like a lot of hassle and I'll
probably end up orphaning it and letting nature take its course.

Paul.