Dracut HostOnly or ConfigurationOnly?

Jared K. Smith jsmith at fedoraproject.org
Mon Sep 9 16:38:24 UTC 2013

On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 8:19 AM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net>wrote:

> i think you misread the post - IMHO the intention was that once again
> a feature with zero benefit was acknowledged without caseful think about
> the negative impact

And I think you once again exaggerate, Harald.  Just because the feature
doesn't offer benefits to you does not mean it isn't useful at all. Given
that it's fairly easy to switch between the various modes, I think that
essentially proves that those who made the change thought through the
possible negative impacts, and made it fairly easy for a systems
administrator to choose how they're like their system to work.

To drive the point home to its logical conclusion -- we're never going to
have *one* Fedora configuration that works perfectly for everyone.
Instead, we're going to have some level of configuration to make it as
painless as possible to allow competent administrators to configure their
systems in a manner that works best for them.  Is the way you reconfigure
the initrd file ideal?  I'd probably argue that it isn't ideal, but works
well enough for now.  But could I in all honesty say that the feature has
no benefit, and that the developer(s) who made the change didn't think
about the possible negative impacts?  No, I can't.

--
Jared Smith