Wider feedback requested on two changes to our base/core defaults

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Mon Sep 9 19:32:32 UTC 2013

On Wed, 21.08.13 21:06, Simo Sorce (simo at redhat.com) wrote:

> > I would like us to change our default to use long hostname instead as in
> > the fqdn or "container01.ackme.com" and would love any kind of feed back
> > in that regard ( why we should not default to that ).
>
> +1 always good to show the full name IMO, at least at the ssh/shell
> level, let the pretty graphical UIs be more lax and try to prettify
> things.

If you want that, then simply use the fqdn as hostname in
/etc/hostname. However, in the general case its a bad idea, since the
suffix might depend on the available network connectivity and might need
a DNS lookup and we certainly shouldn't delay the local login prompt for
a DNS lookup...

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.