Wider feedback requested on two changes to our base/core defaults

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Mon Sep 9 19:42:53 UTC 2013

> On Wed, 21.08.13 18:45, Jóhann B. Guðmundsson (johannbg at gmail.com) wrote:
>
>> And I have come across a bit of scalability issue due to us
>> defaulting to using short hostnames in login and command prompt when
>> creating OS containers in any real numbers.
> I am pretty sure we should continue to default to "short" hostnames,
> i.e. not fqdns.

I am pretty sure we should not since continuing to use short hostname is
the worst option of them all since it collides with other "short"
hostnames on your network.

> The thing is simply that in today's world hosts might appear on multiple
> networks and domains at the same time, and that dynamically, and not
> necessarily using IP or exposed via DNS. The domain suffix hence is
> frequently something that is more interface or state dependent rather
> than strictly host dependent. For example, the same host might have an
> mdns hostname in .local as well as one ISP assigned hostname on ppp0 and
> a hand chosen name on the LAN interface eth0. They might all share the
> same non-qualified name, but are hightly like to have different
> suffixes. Extending on that: sometimes a machine might be entirely
> disconnected, an fqdn then makes very little sense, because it suggests
> a world-wide reachable name which is misleading.

Yes it does makes sense and quite frankly using short hostname is the
worst option of them all we would be better using ip and or no hostname
et all rather then to continue to use short hostnames.

> Enforcing a fixed fqdn for a a machine for its entire lifetime is
> like enforcing a single fixed IP address for it -- i.e. a setup that
> certainly makes sense but is probably not the common case for the vast
> majority of modern systems.

?

  Lennart I'm not sure what kind of modern system you are using which
you can just pick up and walk around with your containers/vm's/servers
between networks but feel free to slide one of those modern system to me
and I'll happily bring that modern system of yours to the next
administrative level ;)

JBG