Wider feedback requested on two changes to our base/core defaults

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Mon Sep 9 20:05:15 UTC 2013

On Mon, 09.09.13 19:42, Jóhann B. Guðmundsson (johannbg at gmail.com) wrote:

> On 09/09/2013 07:30 PM, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> >On Wed, 21.08.13 18:45, Jóhann B. Guðmundsson (johannbg at gmail.com) wrote:
> >
> >>And I have come across a bit of scalability issue due to us
> >>defaulting to using short hostnames in login and command prompt when
> >>creating OS containers in any real numbers.
> >I am pretty sure we should continue to default to "short" hostnames,
> >i.e. not fqdns.
>
> I am pretty sure we should not since continuing to use short
> hostname is the worst option of them all since it collides with
> other "short" hostnames on your network.

So, then tell me. Which fixed fqdn shall I assign to my laptop then? The
laptop moves around all the time, connects to different networks, so
which is the right fqdn? And no, I am not changing the hostname all the
time...

Again, there are reasons to use the fqdn, but for the general case and
as default it's not a good choice.

>  Lennart I'm not sure what kind of modern system you are using which
> you can just pick up and walk around with your
> containers/vm's/servers between networks but feel free to slide one
> of those modern system to me and I'll happily bring that modern
> system of yours to the next administrative level ;)

Johann, they are called laptops.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.