Wider feedback requested on two changes to our base/core defaults

"J├│hann B. Gu├░mundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Tue Sep 10 05:45:58 UTC 2013

On 09/09/2013 10:54 PM, Ian Malone wrote:
> Thank you for the put down. However, firstly I'm not referring to the
> fqdn issue, but the mention of dropping user name and secondly I'm not
> the administrator of all the systems I use. I was simply trying to
> provide some user input here.

My proposal is not about dropping the username from the command prompt
nor do I think that would be wise doing so in fact I would be against
such an proposal for the exact same reason I'm trying to have us switch
to using fqdn by default instead of using short hostnames.

I'm simply asking that we go from this...

[testuser at www ~]$

to this

[testuser at www.example.com ~]$

Since you as an administrator cant clearly tell the difference on the
command prompt if you are logged into the container/vm/server with the
fqdn of www.example.com or www.example.org.

Both are being displayed as "[testuser at www ~]$" at the command prompt to
the administrator which forces the administrator to run additional
command to figure out which host he's currently logged into each time
before starting working on it.

JBG