separation emacs-common into more packages

Petr Hracek phracek at redhat.com
Tue Sep 10 13:26:29 UTC 2013

> On Tue, 10 Sep 2013 13:54:47 +0200, Petr Hracek wrote:
>
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> I would like to separate emacs-common into more packages (in rawhide
>> currently).
>> emacs-common contains all lisp files, info and man pages
>> Do you think that it is a good idea to separate them into groups like
>>
>> emacs-org (directory /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org)
>> emacs-progmodes (directory /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/progmodes)
>>
>> What do you thing emacs users?
> What would be the benefit?
>
> Would it reduce package dependencies a lot? Currently, emacs-common
> doesn't depend on many things.
>
> Are there inter-dependencies between the various script files?
>
> Would it only reduce the package size?
No, I would like to split to the more understandable subpackages.
Side effect is reduced the package size emacs-common
But there could be any inter-dependencties which needs to be solved of
course before this split.

Affect package is only emacs-common.

> Fragmentation of a package into too many subpackages will typically result
> in users installing "emacs*" because else it would be too much of a burden
> to track down the individual pieces that are needed/wanted.
Hmm, that's another approach that when emacs will be splitted into many
subpackages
then user will install emacs* which is not the aim of this split.

> $ yum list emacs\*|wc -l
> 136
>
> That's an overwhelming number of add-ons already.
>
> For run-time packages, I prefer splitting of subpackages for technical
> reasons, such as deps on optional stuff that decreases stability. I don't
> mind the size of a primary application package.
Thanks for your point of view

--
Best regards / S pozdravem
Petr Hracek