separation emacs-common into more packages

Przemek Klosowski przemek.klosowski at nist.gov
Tue Sep 10 18:06:48 UTC 2013

On 09/10/2013 10:06 AM, 80 wrote:

> as an emacs user, splitting emacs-common has little value to me, and
> without a package requiring most of the splitted packages, it might
> even turn into an annoyance (much like texlive).

Yeah, 4872  packages reported by repoquery texlive*. That's over 12% of
the total number of Fedora packages (38413).

At first, I thought that it has an excessive number of small
packages---about half of texlive packages are smaller than 50kB. It
turns out, however, that it is par for the course in Fedora; 41% of all
packages are smaller than 50kB.

In fact, as you can see from the attached histogram comparing  the size
distribution of Fedora and texlive packages, both distributions peak
around 20kB, which I suspect may be due to RPM packaging overhead rather
than the inherent payload size.

Is it reasonable to have so many small packages, especially if, as is
the case of texlive, they are closely related? Are there any guidelines
for when some sort of bundling is appropriate?