fedmsg for voting?

inode0 inode0 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 10 20:24:28 UTC 2013

On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 3:08 PM, Ralph Bean <rbean at redhat.com> wrote:
> A question has come up in #fedora-apps as to whether or not we should
> publish fedmsg messages for voting.  In particular, we're looking
> now at the new "nuancier" webapp[0] that will be used to vote on
> supplemental wallpapers.  It is in development.  There is a demo
> instance[1].
>
> There is a pull request up[2] that adds fedmsg messages to nuancier.
> It publishes messages when an election admin opens or closes an
> election for voting, as well as when an election admin publishes or
> rescinds the results of an election.  Everyone seems to think that
> this is fine.
>
> What is under question is that it publishes a message for each set of
> votes cast by users[3].  It includes the number of votes cast, the fas
> username of the person who did the voting, and in what election they
> voted.  It does *not* include what the person voted for or against.

That can often be easily obtained from the other information.

> If we are able to add fedmsg messages to this, then we will be able to
> award badges for voting on wallpapers.  That would be nice.

Maybe it is just me but I really don't want badges for voting. I don't
wear those stickers they give you at the voting places in the US and I
don't want you sticking one on my back as I walk out of the Fedora
voting booth either.

> Whatever the decision we come to on the supplemental wallpaper voting
> app, we would like to apply that same logic fedmsg messages on the
> general elections voting app later down the road.

-1 unless we just want to adopt public voting.

John