Proposal: AppData files in all application packages?

Elad Alfassa elad at fedoraproject.org
Tue Sep 10 22:17:40 UTC 2013

On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 7:58 PM, Remi Collet <Fedora at famillecollet.com>wrote:

> Le 09/09/2013 22:08, Elad Alfassa a écrit :
>
> > If you have any specific questions (after reading both commit messages),
> > we'll be happy to answer them.
>
> Yes, I have found how to add this file, thanks.
>
> I you really want this to succeeds and to be adopted by application
> upstream, we need to provides "really" simple documentation.
> (I'm tired to heard about some new fedora specific and complex
> request... even if this is not true, this is a common upstream feeling)
>
> I agree we should improve documentation. It's on my TODO list.

> And sorry, but this is not "yet" the case.
> (especially for ex. for a QT app which doesn't use gettext or autotool)

I agree, but we can't write scripts for every single build system out
there. It's not that hard to make an XML file translatable.

> Just to confirm: this new file is only useful on fedora >= 20 ?
> (so we need to not ship it in fedora < 20, perhaps some Guildelines
> about this could be useful)

You don't have to ship appdata in fedora < 20, but you can if you want.
(nothing will use it, tho).  I don't think we need any special guidelines
here.

> Which package own /usr/share/appdata ?

I'll leave this question for Richard to answer.

> Remi.
>

> P.S. new version 0.3RC of qelectrotech in rawhide have this file,
> added by upstream on my proposal.
> --

-Elad Alfassa.