does mc really require perl*?

Miroslav Suchý msuchy at redhat.com
Wed Sep 11 07:05:26 UTC 2013

On 09/10/2013 08:25 AM, Dan Horák wrote:
>> >I did a TC5 minimal install last night, which omitted mc, my most
>> >used cmdline tool. So:
>> >
>> ># yum install mc
>> >... installing for dependencies:
>> >gpm-libs (which I never ever use)
>> >perl* (29 packages)...
>> >
>> >Seriously? What does mc need perl for?
> see /usr/libexec/mc/extfs.d

So unless you try to open deb, rpm package and few other format you do not need perl.
So it is merely nice-to-have. Usually called soft-dependency, which unfortunately our tools still does not know.

Does somebody knows when we can expect soft dependencies in rpm?

--
Miroslav Suchy, RHCE, RHCDS
Red Hat, Software Engineer, #brno, #devexp, #fedora-buildsys