Packages requiring Xorg "BackingStore" "true"

Sandro Mani manisandro at gmail.com
Wed Sep 11 10:16:19 UTC 2013

Hello,

Some time ago I've packaged Xfoil, Avl and Xrotor (which are popular
codes for foil/fluid-dynamics related computations), but I never ended
up posting a package review for one reason: the plot window of those
programs needs "BackingStore" "true" set in xorg.conf, or otherwise the
contents of the plot windows will disappear as soon as something else
covers the window. Now, this is not a terribly huge blocker, in the
sense that the package basically also works without the setting, but
still, it is not pretty. Hence I wonder on possible approaches to pursue:
- There are reports of BackingStore causing instabilities with certain
configurations, so I guess shipping a file in xorg.conf.d is not really
the way to go.
- A README file telling the user that sHe should enable the setting for
the optimal experience but warning of potential instability is probably
the best way to proceed, though the user needs to think of looking in
/usr/share/doc/Xfoil or in the read the package description to gather
this information.
- Question for anyone with Xorg knowledge: how feasible is it to patch
out of the plot window code the need for BackingStore? I.e. does it only
require some minor changes to the Xlib calls? For reference, the code is
here: [1]

Thanks!
Sandro

[1] http://smani.fedorapeople.org/Xwin.c