Firewall blocking desktop features

Alec Leamas leamas.alec at gmail.com
Wed Sep 11 14:11:24 UTC 2013

On 2013-09-11 15:41, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On 09/11/2013 03:32 PM, Alec Leamas wrote:

>>> My marriage would be facing serious troubles, if my wife opens any
>>> port on our shared machines ;)
>>>
>>> Seriously, I think you guys are forgetting Linux isn't a
>>> Single-User-Single-Seat OSes.
>>>
>>> Ralf
>>>

>> Well, it is. Also.
>
> Sure, Single-User-Single-Seat systems are a singular, degenerated case
> of  Multi-User-Multi-Seat systems.
>
>> And hat's really the core here. It's so damned
>> different in these two cases.
>
> Correct, it means that Single-Seat-Single-User focused approaches
> often lack the generality required on Multi-User-Multi-Seat systems.
> It often means approaches, which are easily applicable on other OSes,
> will never fly on Linux.
>
> Ralf

This discussion could easily fly away. Trying to stay on topic: what we
are discussing so far is hints for firewall configuration for each
application. I don't think anyone should be upset by that. The key issue
is just *who* is punching the hole. But isn't this as simple as having
administrative rights for this, which some wifes have and some don't?

--alec