fedmsg for voting?

inode0 inode0 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 11 16:26:19 UTC 2013

On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 10:06 AM, Eric H. Christensen
<sparks at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 03:50:58PM -0500, inode0 wrote:
>> No. In what election where the votes cast are secret is the fact of
>> voting public? I can't recall ever participating in such an election
>> but maybe my head is full of mud today. I have an expectation that my
>> voting behavior is private.
>
> If you vote in the United States the fact that you did, in fact, vote is public record.  *How* you voted is not, however.

Ok, now we are getting into a semantic argument for sure. Where I have
voted for decades they simply do not have any way to know if I did, in
fact, vote. All they know is I showed up to vote. Was the first thing
I did in the voting booth click the "I'm Done." button? Did I drop an
empty ballot into the box on my way out the door? Only I know. You can
conclude from registration records most places that someone did not
vote for some period of time but I don't see how one can really
conclude that anyone in particular did vote if the votes are cast in
secret. Of course, if choosing to not vote at the polling station is
considered voting then, yeah, you know I "voted."

Fedora has treated my voting behavior as private so far. If Fedora has
respected my privacy to a greater degree than the various governments
running other elections I have been involved in then I say good for
Fedora.

Now I am going to click the "I'm Done." button on this.

John