Packages requiring Xorg "BackingStore" "true"

Adam Jackson ajax at redhat.com
Wed Sep 11 18:04:28 UTC 2013

On Wed, 2013-09-11 at 12:32 +0200, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> On ons, 2013-09-11 at 12:16 +0200, Sandro Mani wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Some time ago I've packaged Xfoil, Avl and Xrotor (which are popular
> > codes for foil/fluid-dynamics related computations), but I never ended
> > up posting a package review for one reason: the plot window of those
> > programs needs "BackingStore" "true" set in xorg.conf, or otherwise the
> > contents of the plot windows will disappear as soon as something else
> > covers the window. Now, this is not a terribly huge blocker, in the
> > sense that the package basically also works without the setting, but
> > still, it is not pretty. Hence I wonder on possible approaches to pursue:
>
> It probably works without backingstore on most modern desktops anyway
> since they use compositing managers which doesn't throw away non-visible
> window content.

Well, yes, but it ought to work regardless of the xorg.conf setting,
because that setting has been effectively hardwired to true for about
six years now.  I rewrote the backing store implementation to use
Composite internally, which is always available, so we just blindly
ignore the config setting and give you backing store if you ask for it.
There may be bugs, I freely admit, but it's definitely meant to work.
If it doesn't it's probably a bug in X and I'll fix it, so hook me up
with test packages and I'll take a look.

- ajax