Schedule for Wednesday's FESCo Meeting (2013-09-11)

"J├│hann B. Gu├░mundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Wed Sep 11 18:07:20 UTC 2013

On 09/11/2013 05:37 PM, drago01 wrote:
> Lets not discuss the word "support" again we have had enough threads of that.
> And yes we have other desktop environments in the project but we do
> not promote them equally
> because we don't have the resources to "support" them on equal terms.

You mean Red Hat is not backing up their development through manpower
equally and not doing so makes them lesser of products then "Gnome" and
hence we should not give them equal place and footing within our project
and our community.

In other words we should only proudly display and stand behind
applications and application stacks that are backed up by Red Hat from
our community.

Yep that's pretty much how that 3 product default sounds to me, I
however do not discriminate between application in our community nor
between the people that are maintaining them.

And encase you have missed the 21 centry...

The fact is even after all those years of people crying "This year will
be the year of the Linux desktop!", we still cant do as basic function
as to update the firmware on our computers, we still cant update the
firmware of all the peripheral devices like camera, mobile
phone,tablets, gps etc.

The manufacturers of those devices still dont provide application for
their devices that run on top of general linux distrubtion and they
never will since they are making the application available for Android
and IOS and are providing tables in schools  ( as opposed to pc's  )  so
I'm not sure if you have realized it yet but the era of the consumer
desktop environment as we have known it, on any OS is coming to end.

And proposing that we somehow continue to tie ourselves and our
processes to *any* of the desktop environments in the GNU/Linux
ecosystem while they try to redefine themselves and struggle with their
own existence is not doing us as a community any favours nor our users
base.

What I argue with my proposal is that we prepare ourself and our
workflow for that inevitable evolution that will take place in 5 - 10
years and continue to keep ourselves relevant and help shaping the IT
industry in the 21 century.

JBG