SSSD 1.11 and AD homeDirectory

Simo Sorce simo at redhat.com
Wed Sep 11 20:07:13 UTC 2013

On Wed, 2013-09-11 at 14:19 -0500, Jeffrey Ollie wrote:
> I'm messing around a bit with the new AD support in SSSD 1.11.  I've
> gotten authentication working against our AD at work, but I'd like to
> be able to mount the user's "home folder" (in our environment, it gets
> mapped to the P: drive if you're logging into a Windows system that is
> part of the domain) as their Linux home directory.  The user's home
> folder can be on one of a dozen or more file servers, so I need to use
> the AD homeDirectory attribute and dynamically mount the CIFS
> filesystem.
>

> Numerous Google searches and man page readings haven't turned up the
> magic incantation that I need to turn this on.  Is what I want to do
> possible with SSSD 1.11?  If so, is it documented anywhere than the
> source?

Almost certainly you do not want a home directory backed by a cifs
filesystem, however if you really do I suggest you configure autofs and
cifs with multi-user mounts on your machine.

You will not be able to have the home directory be specified by the AD
server though unless you want to cleverly use the unixHomeDirectory
attribute (and your windows admin properly populates it for each user).

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce * Red Hat, Inc * New York