Summary/Minutes from today's FESCo Meeting (2013-09-11)

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Thu Sep 12 00:18:23 UTC 2013

On Wed, 11.09.13 23:30, Jóhann B. Guðmundsson (johannbg at gmail.com) wrote:

> >>* #1161 fqdn should be clearly display at login and command prompt
> >>   (mmaslano, 18:11:07)
> >>   * AGREED: fqdn should be clearly display on login prompt, but not on
> >>     commandline prompt (+7,-0,0)  (mmaslano, 18:17:19)
> >What weird "decision" is this? What precisely has been decided here?
>
> In this case that agetty displayed --long-hostname under Host: entry
> in /etc/issue which would make the login prompt look like this

The command line of agetty we use on Fedora does not use --long-hostname
currently. I don't grok this?

Are you suggesting it should pass that switch? If so, I'd prefer if this
would become the agetty upstream default. Have you tried asking Karel
for that? Why did you involve FESCO?

> Fedora release 20 (Rawhide)
> Kernel 3.11.0-0.rc5.git6.1.fc20.x86_64 on an x86_64 (console)
> Host: www.example.com <-- fqdn added

How is that fqdn determined? Simply the result of gethostname()? Or is
this the result of "hostname --fqdn"? (the former just reads a string
from the kernel, which is fine; the latter involves DNS resolving that
string, and then reverse resolving it again, which is nothing we should
do when showing a login prompt.)

> -  [ "$PS1" = "\\s-\\v\\\$ " ] && PS1="[\u@\h \W]\\$ "
> +  [ "$PS1" = "\\s-\\v\\\$ " ] && PS1="[\u@\H \W]\\$ "

This change is simply about whether to truncate at the first dot or
not. This has little to do with qualifying a hostname to become the
fqdn...

So, let me ask explicitly:

Are you suggesting that a configured short kernel hostname should be
qualified to an fqdn on display? (which is what your choice of words
"fqdn" was suggesting).

Or are you simply suggesting that a possibly configured long kernel
hostname should not be truncated on display to become a short name?

If it's the latter I'd appreciate to make this clear in your FESCO
ticket.

Recommended read is the bit about "The FQDN" in hostname(1), to grok
what it means to qualify a short hostname to an fqdn.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.