Summary/Minutes from today's FESCo Meeting (2013-09-11)

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Thu Sep 12 02:10:44 UTC 2013

On Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 03:42:31AM +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> > Based on the bugs presented in the ticket, despite the loose use of FQDN,
> > this appeared to be about putting \n in /etc/issue (after the initial idea
> > of calling agetty --long-hostname was discarded). The agetty man page says
> > that's nodename from `uname -n`, which is the underlying implementation to
> > gethostname().
> Well, the hostname is also shown directly in front of the "login:"
> prompt (on the same line) by agetty itself (i.e. is not generated via
> /etc/issue). Do you want to show it twice now, once via /etc/issue and
> once via that login prompt agetty generates?
>
> Or is part of this change that --nohostname becomes the default for our
> agetty invocations? If so this should probably be a change that is made
> in agetty. (Or a bug needs to be filed against systemd to add this to
> the agetty cmdline in getty at .service, but I am very cold towards
> overriding defaults of other software with systemd).

This was convered in the proposal, and that's why there was a bug already
filed to change the agetty command line in getty at .service. But now Jóhann
has now closed them all as WONTFIX so I'm not sure what's going on.

Personally I don't really care enough about this to drive it further either
way, but it sounded like some other people might.