Heads up! I'm going to upgrade Wireshark up to 1.10.x in Fedora 18

Peter Hatina phatina at redhat.com
Thu Sep 12 08:17:10 UTC 2013

Hi Peter,

On 09/12/2013 10:00 AM, Peter Lemenkov wrote:
> Hello All!
>
> There are *lots* of CVEs against Wireshark shipped with Fedora 18
> (quite old 1.8.8 version).
>
> * https://bugzilla.redhat.com/965942
> * https://bugzilla.redhat.com/972762
> * https://bugzilla.redhat.com/990189
>
> In order to fix them and not to add additional work for the
> maintainers I'm thinking of upgrading up to 1.10.2 from 1.8.x.

Well, idea looks fine, but before pushing such update, give us some time
to reply to your message (3 minutes is not enough).

> Instead of backporting stuff let's build the latest stable! I'm sure
> users will love this, since new Wireshark adds a lot of new features
> and fixes all these CVEs.

I would rather stick to 1.8.10, which is the latest Maintenance release
of wireshark. 1.8.10 will be certainly more OK with Fedora Update Policy
[1] [2] [3]. I don't think, Wireshark is on exception list.

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Updates_Policy#Stable_Releases
[2] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Updates_Policy#Philosophy
[3]

Have a nice day :)

--
Peter Hatina
ENG Server Experience, System Management