Proposal: AppData files in all application packages?

Elad Alfassa elad at fedoraproject.org
Thu Sep 12 14:47:13 UTC 2013

On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 10:28 PM, Dennis Gilmore <dennis at ausil.us> wrote:

> El Wed, 11 Sep 2013 14:35:34 -0400
> Matthias Clasen <mclasen at redhat.com> escribió:

> > > I have one question, if the data is shipped in the packages how is
> > > it supposed to get to the end user so that they can know about it
> > > and choose to install the application?
> >
> > We plan to extract it in the build system and provide it separate from
> > the applications in the repository.
> >

> that is very vague and handwavy, who is we? how exactly would it be
> provided to the user?

https://fedorahosted.org/rel-eng/ticket/5721
I guess that by "we", Matthias means people who are interested in
gnome-software. Right now I think this includes (at least) Richard,
Matthias, and I.

We have some scripts that extract the relevant metadata from packages.
https://github.com/hughsie/fedora-appstream/

We want the metadata to live with the rest of the repository metadata.
gnome-software or packagekit or any other relevant component would download
it and cache it locally.

Legal approved:
https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/legal/2013-September/002232.html

> Dennis