A fresh idea (was: fedmsg for voting?)

Ralph Bean rbean at redhat.com
Thu Sep 12 16:22:09 UTC 2013

On Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 05:30:43PM +0200, Pierre-Yves Chibon wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 09:55:51AM -0500, inode0 wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 7:59 AM, Ralph Bean <rbean at redhat.com> wrote:
> > > Hm, its not worth doing if we're going to make it complex like this.
> > > I think we should just drop it.  No fedmsg broadcast for votes, only
> > > for election period opening/closing and only for election results
> > > publication/retraction by the admin (with obviously no user
> > > participation data included).
> > >
> > > It is just not important enough to:
> > >
> > > 1) cause anyone any worry.
> > > 2) bother engineering a complicated "compromise" solution.
> > >
> > > If someone wants to argue that we still try to make it happen, I'll
> > > hear that and implement it if a consensus is formed.  (FWIW,
> > > personally I'm still all for it).
> >
> > I thought triggering off logging into the election app would be easier
> > and at least in my case is a compromise that I would be comfortable
> > with even without any opt-in/opt-out addition beyond what you have
> > already made available globally.
>
> It needs to be something else than logging in, maybe, visit the vote page logged
> in.
> That should be easy enough to do in nuancier-lite (and we'll see about
> elections).
>
> Works for me :)

A fresh idea came up in #fedora-apps:

What if we nix fedmsg for voting all together, but we supply a link in
each election page: "Claim the badge for voting" that you can click to,
well, get the badge.

This way no tracking is done whatsoever and we can also give the "I
voted" sticker to only people who want it.