Review swaps: xfoil, xrotor, avl

Sandro Mani manisandro at gmail.com
Thu Sep 12 18:32:49 UTC 2013

On 12.09.2013 19:45, Antonio Trande wrote:

> On 09/12/2013 07:37 PM, Sandro Mani wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've posted the following package review requests: - #1007539 -
>> xfoil: Subsonic Airfoil Development System - #1007540 - rotor:
>> Design and analysis tools for propellers and windmills - #1007541 -
>> avl: Aerodynamic and flight-dynamic analysis of rigid aircrafts
>>
>> They are all fortran/C applications with dead simple spec files
>> (and beautiful handwritten Makefiles *cough*).
>>
>> Happy to review packages in exchange.
>>
>> Thanks, Sandro
>>
> Hi Sandro.
>
> They seem me three software very old.
> Are you sure they are still under development ?

Hi Antonio,
xfoil was last updated 2008, xrotor in 2011 and avl in 2012. But
regardless of this, xfoil in particular is widely used at universities
and other people in the scientific community. Actually, its age is a
sign that the program has been validated against a large number of
testcases and is widely accepted to be reliable. So they are definitely
worth having!

Sandro