Package name conflict with retired package

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Fri Sep 13 09:48:06 UTC 2013

On Fri, 13 Sep 2013 09:54:49 +0200, Florian Weimer wrote:

> On 09/12/2013 10:40 PM, Sandro Mani wrote:
>
> > I just posted a review for avl (the Aerodynamic and flight-dynamic
> > analysis of rigid aircrafts package) [1], and the reviewer noticed that
> > it conflicts with the retired avl package (the AVL tree manipulation
> > library). How should one proceed in such situations? Does the old
> > repository needs to be deleted before the new one is created?
>
> Please do not reuse package names for unrelated software.  It is quite
> confusing and can interfere with all kinds of tracking/package mapping
> efforts.

That could be documented.

It would be wrong for an old retired (!) "avl" to block that component
name forever. What if that project has been abandoned or renamed?

I can't reach the old  git.fruit.je/avl  currently, but the README in the
old F14 package calls it "AVLTREE", "AVLTree" and "AVL-Tree library",
and the Fedora src.rpm uses the libavl source tarball from Debian.

 => It could (should?) have been named "libavl" or "avltree".

Again related to the General Naming Guidelines, FPC ticket #336.
If the AVL-Tree project were still alive, what would happen in a new
package review request at Fedora? Would a different pair of submitter
and reviewer approve the same "avl" as "libavl"?