Atlas update

Orion Poplawski orion at cora.nwra.com
Fri Sep 13 13:44:50 UTC 2013

On 09/13/2013 06:26 AM, Susi Lehtola wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Sep 2013 15:24:28 +0300
> Susi Lehtola <jussilehtola at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>> On Fri, 13 Sep 2013 14:16:46 +0200
>> Frantisek Kluknavsky <fkluknav at redhat.com> wrote:
>>> Atlas currently bundles Lapack. I want to update Atlas to 3.10.1
>>> and unbundle Lapack as well. This will require rebuild of dependent
>>> packages and maybe adding explicit dependency on Lapack.
>>
>> I'd think twice about debundling. For instance OpenBLAS actually
>> replaces some LAPACK routines with more efficient implementations, and
>> because of this OpenBLAS also includes a bunch functions from the
>> lapack package.
>>
>> So, please check with ATLAS upstream whether you can safely unbundle
>> LAPACK.
>
> Actually, this is stated pretty clearly on the ATLAS page:
>   "At present, it provides C and Fortran77 interfaces to a portably
>   efficient BLAS implementation, as well as a few routines from LAPACK."
>
> So, if you remove LAPACK from ATLAS, you'll also prevent compiling
> LAPACK dependent packages against ATLAS.

I think you can do -latlas -llapack.  The problem with the current atlas
is that it wants the lapack *source* not just the library as the current
version did.  It would been a bundling exception.  Might be okay since
lapack doesn't change much, probably not many security concerns.

--
Orion Poplawski
3380 Mitchell Lane                  orion at cora.nwra.com