Provenpackagers can help (was: Re: OCaml 4.01.0 coming to Fedora Rawhide this weekend)

Jerry James loganjerry at gmail.com
Sun Sep 15 04:48:37 UTC 2013

On Sat, Sep 14, 2013 at 7:04 AM, Richard W.M. Jones <rjones at redhat.com> wrote:
> For provenpackagers who want to pitch in with OCaml builds, here's a
> summary of what I'm doing:
>
>  - Check that the master branch hasn't been updated already.
>
>  - Check if there's a new upstream version, and upgrade to it if so.
>
>  - REMOVE any of:
>
>    %global/%define debug_package %{nil}
>    %global/%define __strip /bin/true
>
>  - REMOVE any stripping of binaries/libraries.
>
>  - REMOVE any prelink hacks (example [3]).
>
>  - Ensure that the build uses 'ocamlopt -g' or 'ocamlopt.opt -g'
>    option.  You may need to patch the build system (see example[1]).
>    This is the hardest part because unfortunately all upstream build
>    systems are a bit different and some are a bit crazy.
>
>  - Do a local test build and check that:
>
>    (a) It builds
>    (b) ocaml-X-debuginfo is created
>    (c) ocaml-X-debuginfo is not empty
>    (d) ocaml-X-debuginfo looks reasonable (it should contain some
>        *.c and/or *.ml source files at least)
>
> If that works, push it and build it.
>
> If there are any problems, you can either ask me or just leave that
> package.

Thanks for doing this.  It will be great to have debuginfo available
for these packages.

I attempted to update ocaml-camlp5 to version 6.11.  However, the
build failed like this (in an x86_64 Rawhide mock build):

ocamlrun ../main/camlp5 -nolib -I ../meta -I ../etc ./pa_lispr.cmo
pa_extend.cmo q_MLast.cmo pr_dump.cmo -mode S -o pa_lisp.ppo
pa_lisp.ml
ocamlopt.opt -g -warn-error A -I ../main -I ../meta -I ../lib -c -impl
pa_lisp.ppo
Fatal error: exception Assert_failure("asmcomp/emitaux.ml", 226, 4)
make[3]: *** [pa_lisp.cmx] Error 2

Since there is no such source file as emitaux.ml in ocaml-camlp5, I
assume that must be an ocaml source file.  If I enter the chroot and
execute the same command without the "-g", it works.  I probably won't
have time to investigate this further until Monday.

Regards,
--
Jerry James
http://www.jamezone.org/