Full subpackage (-n type) with different version from main package

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 15 20:07:58 UTC 2013

Ok, apparently I've been unintentionally obtuse...

The problem isn't (directly) with %setup. I know how to do that.

The problem is when you have a (-n type) subpackage that is of a different
version from the main source.

Maximum RPM tells you properly that you can include a Version: tag from
inside your %package. The problem is then %setup grabs the version tag from
the subpackage and not the main one.

The solution is to define your own version macro, in this case %tsqlver,
and use it for both the main Version: tag and in setup: %setup -q -n
%{name}-%{tqslver}.

This is what Maximum RPM fails to explain, it doesn't show a %setup line in
it's example of a subpackage that's a different version from the main
package.

Thanks,
Richard