Retiring libeio

T.C. Hollingsworth tchollingsworth at gmail.com
Tue Sep 17 16:22:44 UTC 2013

What a mess!  I sure do seem to be attracted to bundled library issues, like
insects are attracted to shiny lights.  :-(

On Sun, Sep 8, 2013 at 12:48 AM, Michael Schwendt <mschwendt at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 7 Sep 2013 18:03:48 -0700, T.C. Hollingsworth wrote:
>
>> I adopted libeio back when Node.js still bundled it to aid in the unbundling
>> effort, but upstream "fixed" the bundling problem here by no longer using
>> libeio for anything.
>
> That explains a bit more!
>
> libeio is bundled within perl-IO-AIO at Fedora
>
>   http://search.cpan.org/~mlehmann/IO-AIO-4.18/AIO.pm
>
> and is built as a private AIO.so lib.

I might add that this Perl module also shares the same author as libeio itself.

> I've tried to find out why there haven't been any libeio releases to download,
> although it's at version 4.18 already. The home page says it's Beta. The cvs
> snapshot contains doc files that refer to libev (that one is at 4.15), which
> is a separate package (also at Fedora). The source also bundles ecb.h, which
> refers to libecb from the same author. That's "libecb" at Fedora.

Upstream has never released tarballs that I'm aware of.  The libeio package
generates tarballs from release tags in CVS.  There actually seems to be a 4.19
tag in CVS now, though IO::AIO is still on 4.18.

Sorry I never noticed the libecb bundling.  I could push a patch to fix it right
now, but I have absolutely no way of testing it since nothing uses libeio and
it doesn't have a test suite.  :-(

-T.C.