Provenpackagers can help (was: Re: OCaml 4.01.0 coming to Fedora Rawhide this weekend)

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Tue Sep 17 21:43:18 UTC 2013

On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 10:23:16AM -0600, Jerry James wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 14, 2013 at 7:04 AM, Richard W.M. Jones <rjones at redhat.com> wrote:
> > For provenpackagers who want to pitch in with OCaml builds, here's a
> > summary of what I'm doing:
>
> While looking through the packages still needing a rebuild, I have
> noticed all 3 of the following:
> - ExclusiveArch: %{ocaml_arches}
> - ExcludeArch: sparc64 s390 s390x
> - No ExcludeArch or ExclusiveArch at all
>
> Only the first is correct, right?  We ought to try to be consistent about this.

It's a good question.  I've not been touching any of these lines.

%{ocaml_arches} is defined as part of RPM (/etc/rpm/macros.ocaml-srpm).
But it's not accurate and I don't know who put it in RPM.

There's no reason why OCaml shouldn't be compiled on any architecture
that has a C compiler.  On a tiny minority you'd only be able to use
the slower bytecode implementation, but the only arches I'm aware this
is the case are s390{,x} & aarch64.  On all the others there is some
native code compiler, even if it's not upstream (like ppc64).

Rich.