Firewall blocking desktop features

Peter Oliver lists.fedoraproject.org at mavit.org.uk
Wed Sep 18 16:34:17 UTC 2013

On Wed, 11 Sep 2013, Thomas Woerner wrote:

> On 09/10/2013 10:07 PM, Peter Oliver wrote:
>
>> Now, if you're running a server and you install, say, Apache, I think
>> you expect to have to go and poke at the firewall config, but these seem
>> to be very desktop-focused features, and the UI provides no clue about
>> the extra steps required.
>>
> I am not sure if I am getting this right. What is 'these'? Are you are
> talking about the desktop UI or firewall-config UI here?

I was talking about the desktop UI.  It doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to me to have user-facing switches in the desktop UI that, in the default system configuration, are "broken" (from a naive user's point of view).

> To be able to add a service configuration file, the information about ports
> etc. is needed. Dynamic ports are not good for this. Lots of these desktop
> features are using some dynamic port(s), which makes the creation of service
> configuration files hard or impossible.

A futher complication is that some depend on other features, such as mDNS.  In an ideal world there'd be some way to express this in the configuration, I suppose.

--
Peter Oliver