About F19 Firewall

Phil Knirsch pknirsch at redhat.com
Fri Sep 20 16:07:17 UTC 2013

On 09/20/2013 05:12 PM, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> On 09/20/2013 02:15 PM, Matthew Miller wrote:
>> On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 04:50:06PM +0200, Mateusz Marzantowicz wrote:
>>> It's written in Python and so what? Interpreted languages like Perl and
>>> Bash are widely used in Linux world to implement many tools. I don't buy
>>> argumentation that if something is not implemented in C it sucks.
>> It's not that it "sucks", it's that it requires significantly more
>> resources. In a minimal install, firewalld is by far the largest memory
>> consumer out-of-the-box, which is very wasteful in the 99.99% of the time
>> where it isn't doing anything.
>>
>> And, the python stack is a meaningfully-large portion of the minimal
>> install. Right now, that's unavoidable because of yum, but in the
>> not-so-far
>> future dnf may make it possible to remove that. If we're putting in
>> _more_
>> python-dependent infrastructure code, we'll never get there.
>>

> Do you have list somewhere of python dependent code in the core/baseOS?
>
> JBG

Just ran a minimal install on a box here. Ended up with about 310
packages and a

rpm -q --whatrequires "python(abi)" --qf "%{NAME}\n" | sort

gives me this list:

authconfig
dbus-python
firewalld
libselinux-python
newt-python
pycairo
pygobject2
pygobject3-base
pygpgme
pygtk2
pyliblzma
python-decorator
python-iniparse
python-pycurl
python-slip
python-slip-dbus
python-urlgrabber
pyxattr
rpm-python
yum
yum-metadata-parser

So there's quite a bit of other stuff that still requires python as well
apart from firewalld.

Thanks & regards, Phil

--
Philipp Knirsch              | Tel.:  +49-711-96437-470
Manager Core Services        | Fax.:  +49-711-96437-111