does mc really require perl*?

Jakub Jelinek jakub at redhat.com
Fri Sep 20 19:13:23 UTC 2013

On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 08:37:50PM +0200, Reindl Harald wrote:
> well, some people would now say "i do"
> the same i can say for sure to some other pakcages on a cloud server where
> they would disagree and because everybody has different needs keep the
> dependency chain as small as possible is always a good idea for a lot
> of reasons and save ressources is generally a good idea even if most of
> the young devlelopers never learned how to develop tiny, bugfree and
> stable software - the results are well known

But for the mc dependency on perl, I'd say it is very reasonable one to have, because
otherwise none of the extfs will really work, that is something used pretty
frequently in mc.  Of course unless you are prepared to rewrite all the
scripts into awk, plain sh or something that will require smaller footprint.

	Jakub