thread count

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Sun Sep 22 01:13:57 UTC 2013

On Sat, Sep 21, 2013 at 09:44:24PM +0200, Frantisek Kluknavsky wrote:
> Another question. It seems that number of threads is still set at
> build time, adaptive number of threads might come in the future.
> Fedora right now uses the default - the number of cpu cores of
> builder machine. Which number is appropriate? Is it meaningful to
> ship such a parallel library at all? Which packages use/plan to use
> parallel version of Atlas?

It might have been nice to put Atlas in the subject so if we didn't see the
other post we had any idea what you're talking about. :)

In any case, it's my understanding that thread limit is a maximum rather
than what's always used. In that case, I think it makes sense to pick a
reasonably large number (32?) and note that people running on larger systems
should rebuild.