hidden GRUB menu -> Re: Suspension problem last 2 days

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Sun Sep 22 16:34:52 UTC 2013

On 09/22/2013 06:13 PM, Jan Kratochvil wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Sep 2013 03:21:32 +0200, Reindl Harald wrote:
>> now we have exactly what i said will happen: users in trouble does not know how to
>> boot the still installed older kernel because they never learned that there are
>> more than one because they never faced it as all the years before
>
> My grandfather still believes those are multiple _different_ Fedora
> installations, each having different games/files.  As he has also CentOS menu
> item there having multiple Fedora items is just too much for him.

Since Fedora has adopted grub2, I haven't had a Fedora installation
whose grub2 was working flawlessly, worse since systemd.

Going after these issues forces me to dig into grub2 and kernel
parameters, even though I really don't want to :)

> Failed boot of a new kernel is a rare case needing assistance of someone more
> capable of admin work.

Correct, but "somewhat working/somewhat failing" boots are quite common.
I guess, they are much more common than most people around here believe,
because such cases often are hidden by "rhgb" and "quiet".

>  Such person knows how to display the menu.
I am inclinded to agree in case of hard failures, but not in case of
"minor failures".

Ralf