hidden GRUB menu -> Re: Suspension problem last 2 days

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sun Sep 22 16:34:05 UTC 2013

Am 22.09.2013 18:30, schrieb Jan Kratochvil:
> On Sun, 22 Sep 2013 18:24:45 +0200, Reindl Harald wrote:
>> Am 22.09.2013 18:13, schrieb Jan Kratochvil:
>>> My grandfather still believes those are multiple _different_ Fedora
>>> installations, each having different games/files.  As he has also CentOS menu
>>> item there having multiple Fedora items is just too much for him.
>>
>> explain it to him
>
> I have tried many times for many years but he still insists on it.
>

>> * because i saw the menu from the very first beginning
>> * because doing nothing the next boot-step after that menu failed
>> * so what did i: look waht happens if i chosse something other from the menu
>
> There is never a perfect solution, everything has its pros and cons.

yes and the chance having a unbootable system has more cons

> So it could wait for 5 secs, just displaying a message "Hit SHIFT to display
> a boot menu.".  That hopefully should not confuse users while it would still
> help you to solve your problem

place a descriptive text *above* the menu and display it as default would
be the best one, but i guess pragmatic solutions edcuating users are not
the ones developers these days perfer

wondering from which tress in 10 years the advanced users will fall if
all advanced options are more and more hidden beause the could confuse
somebody............