[HEADSUP] Atlas changed libraries

Susi Lehtola jussilehtola at fedoraproject.org
Sun Sep 22 19:05:12 UTC 2013

On Sat, 21 Sep 2013 19:22:11 -0600
Jerry James <loganjerry at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 21, 2013 at 2:13 PM, Frantisek Kluknavsky
> <fkluknav at redhat.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Atlas in rawhide is rebased to 3.10.1. It now builds monolithic
> > shared libraries libsatlas.so and libtatlas.so (serial and
> > threaded, otherwise identical) which include former lapack, blas
> > and atlas libraries. Dependent packages need to link -lsatlas or
> > -ltatlas instead of -latlas -lcblas -llapack.
> >
> > I am sorry, have a nice day and happy rebuilding.
> >
> > Frantisek Kluknavsky
>
> Given this change, is there any point in keeping the libraries in
> %{_libdir}/atlas instead of putting them directly into %{_libdir}?

I don't think so. The separate directory was necessary before, since
ATLAS shipped its own modified copy of lapack with an identical library
name (liblapack) as lapack.

However, ATLAS still has different flavors for different CPUs (e.g.
3dnow, sse, sse2, sse3 etc). I'm not sure if this can be easily handled
with alternatives.
--
Susi Lehtola
Fedora Project Contributor