hidden GRUB menu -> Re: Suspension problem last 2 days

Mateusz Marzantowicz mmarzantowicz at osdf.com.pl
Sun Sep 22 21:11:38 UTC 2013

On 22.09.2013 18:34, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 22.09.2013 18:30, schrieb Jan Kratochvil:
>>>
>>> explain it to him
>>
>> I have tried many times for many years but he still insists on it.
>>

>>> * because i saw the menu from the very first beginning
>>> * because doing nothing the next boot-step after that menu failed
>>> * so what did i: look waht happens if i chosse something other from the menu
>>
>> There is never a perfect solution, everything has its pros and cons.
>
> yes and the chance having a unbootable system has more cons
>
>> So it could wait for 5 secs, just displaying a message "Hit SHIFT to display
>> a boot menu.".  That hopefully should not confuse users while it would still
>> help you to solve your problem
>
> place a descriptive text *above* the menu and display it as default would
> be the best one, but i guess pragmatic solutions edcuating users are not
> the ones developers these days perfer
>
> wondering from which tress in 10 years the advanced users will fall if
> all advanced options are more and more hidden beause the could confuse
> somebody............

Oh, come on. Not all advanced options need to be presented to anybody at
any time. You, as advanced user, don't need all of this "advanced"
features every time you use your system. Going back to boot menu - how
many of your reboots are not successful so you need to choose different
kernel or specify different options? Regular Linux user expect to boot
system successfully every time and if it's impossible it means distro
devels screwed up releasing untested package. It's good to have all that
options around but presenting them to user just in case he might want to
do something more advanced once a year is simply wrong.

To educate new Linux/Fedora users, it's better to write some good
documentation or produce high quality podcast than showing them all that
meaningless options.

Mateusz Marzantowicz