[HEADSUP] Atlas changed libraries

Frantisek Kluknavsky fkluknav at redhat.com
Mon Sep 23 14:15:16 UTC 2013

On 09/22/2013 09:32 PM, Susi Lehtola wrote:

> I might mention that OpenBLAS (successor to GotoBLAS) is in Fedora,
> which is often 2x faster than ATLAS. But, it's only available on ix86
> and x86_64. It does have runtime CPU detection, though for the 20-odd
> CPUs supported.

Could you please add more details? I can hardly imagine a situation
where properly tuned Atlas is below 50% of maximum possible floating
point performance. Packaged Atlas tuned on a completely different
machine can of course be slow. The theory goes that if you are into
serious high-performance computing, you are willing and able to rebuild
a few packages. Plus there is a high chance that you are using some more
exotic architecture than those power-hungry x86_64.

On the other hand pre-packaged Atlas is probably the second worst
alternative for desktop use cases (the worst being canonical Blas).

For the record: atlas-3.10.1-1.fc21.armv7hl.rpm is available. I do not
have any Arm machine to test except the Fedora builders, any feedback is
welcome.