Ananconda

Gene Czarcinski gene at czarc.net
Mon Sep 23 15:44:38 UTC 2013

On 09/21/2013 02:53 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:
> On Sep 21, 2013, at 12:12 PM, Phil Dobbin <bukowskiscat at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi, all.
>>
>> I was wondering as to why Ananconda has no facility to overwrite a distro already present on the target machine.
> It may not be able to identify the partitions making up a distro installation. But it does have multiple ways to either reformat existing partitions, or destroy individual partitions, or destroy all partitions.
>

> Chris Murphy
How about the reuse of btrfs subvolumes?

It seems to me that the only way to do that is to delete the subvolume
and then reallocate it which is precisely what I do in my KVM kickstart
installs.  I first bootup in rescue mode and delete the old root
subvolume and then reboot to do the install.  I probably need to figure
out out a pre-install script which will do that.

Is this worth an RFE?  I am thinking of an RFE for kickstart.   I assume
(I have not tried it) that I can reuse an subvolume by first deleting
and "reclaiming" the space from a regular install.

Gene