About F19 Firewall

Thomas Woerner twoerner at redhat.com
Tue Sep 24 16:53:29 UTC 2013

On 09/21/2013 12:22 AM, Chuck Anderson wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 04:17:21PM +0200, Thomas Woerner wrote:
>> If a static firewall configuration fits your needs, just disable
>> firewalld and use the ip*tables firewall services:
>>
>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FirewallD?rd=FirewallD/#Using_static_firewall_rules_with_the_iptables_and_ip6tables_services
>>
>> BTW: If are not configuring an IPv6 firewall, I would highly
>> recommend to either also add an IPv6 firewall with the ip6tables
>> service or to deactivate IPv6 on your machine.
>
> Speaking of which, I have a somewhat strange scenario.  I have a
> global IPv4 address on one interface, so I put that interface into the
> Public zone.  I have a private IPv4 address (RFC1918 on my LAN) on
> another interface.  I want to put that on the Home zone so I can do
> mDNS, etc.  BUT this same "private" NIC also has a public IPv6 address
> because the private LAN's router is a Hurricane Electric IPv6 tunnel
> endpoint...I don't want the ip6tables rules to be in the Home zone,
> but rather Public.
>
> Does firewalld support non-congruent rules between IPv4 and IPv6?  How
> about different zones for different IP addresses on the same interface
> (mixed IPv4/IPv6 or even multiple IPv4 or multiple IPv6 for that
> matter)?

You can bind IP addresses and address ranges to zones already.

With firewall-cmd:

Example:

firewall-cmd --zone=home --add-source=192.168.0.3
firewall-cmd --permanent --zone=home --add-source=192.168.0.3

This will add it for the current run time environment and also permanently.

You can also use IPv6 addresses for this.

See man firewall-cmd at "Options to Handle Bindings of Sources"