[HEADSUP] Atlas changed libraries

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Fri Sep 27 12:47:22 UTC 2013

Susi Lehtola wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Sep 2013 17:52:27 +0200
> Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:
>> For the end users, it means that
>> | they can install the most optimized implementation we provide for their
>> | CPU, or even build their own (tuned for the exact properties of their
>> | machine), without having to recompile all the packages using BLAS
>> | and/or LAPACK.
>
> If you're going to build your packages from source, then perhaps it's
> better to use Gentoo, Sourcemage or some other non-binary distribution.

The point is that they should be able to replace their LAPACK with an
optimized implementation WITHOUT recompiling the application packages we
ship!

Whether that LAPACK comes from us (one of our CPU-optimized ATLAS packages,
or an OpenBLAS package), from some third-party repository, from a
proprietary vendor or is self-compiled is totally besides the point. (Of
course, if they report crashes with the backtrace pointing to a third-party
LAPACK, we'd obviously reject the crash reports and point them to wherever
they got their LAPACK from, but that's no different from the third-party
libGL implementations people are already using.)

        Kevin Kofler