[HEADSUP] Atlas changed libraries

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sat Sep 28 23:04:31 UTC 2013

Susi Lehtola wrote:
> If you link to -lblas, you're shooting yourself in the leg in the first
> place, since that's the reference implementation on current Fedoras.

In fact, I noticed that, and that's a serious packaging bug.

If a package links -lblas -llapack, if ATLAS is installed, it'll get
reference BLAS and ATLAS LAPACK! If it links -llapack -lblas, it'll probably
get the ATLAS functions throughout, because then libatlas is resolved first.
That's very unexpected and broken behavior.

The ATLAS package MUST also override libblas.so.3. This is a packaging bug
and must be fixed ASAP in an update to all Fedora releases. (In fact, I'd
argue libatlas.so.3 should just be RENAMED to libblas.so.3, but that is
obviously not so great an idea in an update, there needs to be a symlink one
way or the other for compatibility reasons.)

        Kevin Kofler