The final push for the application installer in Fedora 20

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Mon Sep 30 12:38:29 UTC 2013

On 30 September 2013 12:00, Michael Schwendt <mschwendt at gmail.com> wrote:
> Could you highlight how much of a "cross-distro effort" this really is?

You can use gnome-software from git master on Fedora and SUSE now, as
I've spent quite a bit of last week with the SUSE rel-eng people
making their metadata validate. I've got a few more compat bits to
add, and then you'll be able to add Ubuntu and Arch to that list too.
The idea is that all the software centers (USC, a couple of smaller
ones) would consume this too, so it's not even gnome-software
specific.

> Audacious upstream has asked whether the AppData file would only be used
> by Fedora? Writing a simple file and including it in the Fedora rpms is
> easy, but it would look more beautiful with an official screenshot and
> an official updatecontact address.

Yes, it's designed to be upstream unless there's a very good reason.
Over a 110 upstream projects have already merged AppData files,
although most are not present in Fedora as you have to normally wait
for a new tarball release. If you can convince them to translate the
appdata file too, that'd be double awesome.

Richard