[HEADSUP] Atlas changed libraries

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Mon Sep 30 22:57:13 UTC 2013

Susi Lehtola wrote:
> Yes, but everyone knows that if you want ATLAS, the link command is
>  -L%{_libdir} -llapack -lf77blas -latlas

"Everyone knows"? I think pretty much everyone expects to link their stuff
with -llapack -lblas and get the most efficient implementation out there,
especially when ATLAS *already* goes through the trouble of overriding all
these libraries:
libcblas.so.3
libclapack.so.3
libf77blas.so.3
liblapack.so.3
libptcblas.so.3
libptf77blas.so.3

Only libblas.so.3 is renamed to libatlas.so.3 for some reason I cannot
fathom.

The behavior is inconsistent and broken. But the new behavior, while more
consistent, is at least as broken. There is ONE correct behavior (and that
goes for ANY BLAS/LAPACK implementation: ATLAS, OpenBLAS etc.): ship
libblas.so.3 and liblapack.so.3, NOT libjoesblas.so.31337.

        Kevin Kofler