Clang error: unknown target CPU 'pentium-m'

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Mon Sep 30 23:59:31 UTC 2013

Sergio Pascual wrote:
> I imaging that -march=native is returning the arch of the builder, that is
> not supported. How can I make this work?

-march=native is NOT allowed in distribution packages. It means to compile
binaries which only run on the machine it is compiled on. (-mtune=native
would be more tolerable, but still doesn't make sense, why would you want to
tune based on what the builder happens to be?)

The package needs fixing to use sane compiler flags (ideally our
RPM_OPT_FLAGS, if Clang can grok those, otherwise an as large subset of them
as possible, but no bogus extra flags such as -march=native, and -O3 is also
usually frowned upon).

        Kevin Kofler